07 February 2015

The Merlene Math Project

I grew up hating math, not being able to multiply fast like my elementary classmates, never get to understand how to compute for the percentage of an amount, anything that is related to math, I never liked it. Guess I was unable to inherit my father’s talent in math.

MSA Tutorial Center at SM City Fairview
Me and my kids would always pass by one of the MSA branches in SM City Fairview. And was hoping to have my kids to be part of it. And then I saw their ad by the door that said, Merlene math.

Think they had the said program named after the owner Merle S. Alferez, a school teacher with a passion for the math subject who started with a one on one tutorial sessions, before it became a well known tutorial center at its best. And I was wondering where they have got the initials MSA before. J

So what is Merlene Math anyway, the said program is based from Singapore Math but was built or designed with a Filipino context. The strategy starts with analyzing problem solving techniques. By seeing the advantages of learning Singapore Math, MSA had actually sent a team of teachers to attend a training in Singapore.

Since I don’t want my kids to hate math like I do, I had my eldest Leo, enrolled in the program first, and I promised my youngest, Shin that he will have his sessions too after Kuya finished his sessions. Leo is currently enrolled on a 12 day session for Merlene Math, he had a one hour and once a week schedule, since I have work and I could only accompany him every Sunday. And all he needs to bring is a pencil, MSA is providing the work sheets.
 
We already had our third session, and he said he is doing fine with the Merlene Math. More blogs about Merlene Math will be coming out soon!

Want to know more about Merlene math or MSA, check out the links provided below:


No comments:

Post a Comment